Spring weather has always been a little temperamental; rainy and cold one moment, and warm the next. This year, however, has been especially bad. Winter clung on through January and February, but I felt for sure that we would be treated to kinder weather when March arrived. Who would have thought that a huge blizzard was just around the corner! Last week, heavy snow fell steadily for few days, with temperatures falling to zero degrees. the world outside felt completely frozen; when we stepped onto the foot-high snow it was packed solid, and it felt as though the extreme cold was stubbornly refusing to leave.
When the snow finally ceased to fall, warm sunlight began to show through the clouds, gently melting it away. We didn't have a drop of milk left in the fridge. Digging a pair of spades out of the garage, we made two clear tracks through the snow for the car and drove straight to the supermarket.
Walking by the seafood counter, my attention was instantly drawn to some fresh scallops. I felt compelled to buy them, thinking I could whip up an exciting dinner, as an antidote to the miserable, cold, wet weather, and may be even to welcome the late arrival of Spring!
帶子買了回來，想著要怎樣泡製才好吃。記起那天看電視，看到英國著名美食作家 Nigel Slater 在船上訪問一位捕鱼類海產為生的漁人。他在船上用一個小爐，一個小平底鍋，把新鮮捕回的帶子就地煮來給大家品嚐。臨起鍋前他在炒起的帶子上加進两大湯匙蜂蜜，各人吃得津津有味。Nigel Slater 驚嘆那漁人的秘方！說這食譜簡單之餘卻出奇的美味，他以後一定要照著來做。
I brought the scallops home and wondered how to go about using them as the star component of a nice meal. I remembered that one day I watched a programme where English food-writer Nigel Slater was visiting a fisherman out on a boat with his crew. He was demonstrating the best way to cook and serve fresh scallops. Using a small pan on top of a gas cooker, he pan-fried some freshly caught scallops, and before they were done, he added two big tablespoonful of honey to the pan. The honey was a special ingredient which made this dish outstanding and delicious. Nigel was so impressed with the recipe that he vowed to recreate this flavour the next time he cooked scallops at home.
I know after watching this programme; before long, I'll bring the delicious flavour of this dish, to our dinner table at home too.
( 4 人用 )
- 新鮮帶子 20 個
- 西班牙香腸 4 - 6 小條
- 中號洋葱 2 個，甜紅椒 2 隻，葱 4 條，小紅辣椒 2 隻，薑指頭般大，蒜頭 4 粒，青檸 1 個。
- 海鹽、鮮磨黑椒各 1 茶匙
- 糖 1 茶匙
- 酒 半杯 125ml
- 蜜糖 2 大湯匙
- 燒紅平底易潔鍋，改用中火把西班牙香腸片两邊烤至微焦盛起。把帶子加進鍋中，用香腸餘油把帶子每邊煎約 3 分鐘或至剛熟，盛起與香腸片同放。
- 加油 1 湯匙至鍋中。下薑絲、葱白、蒜頭和辣椒用中火爆香，加入洋葱炒軟；然後下紅椒和綠葱段。
Pan-fried fresh Scallops with Chorizo
( serves 4 )
- 20 fresh scallops
- 4 - 6 small Chorizo
- 2 medium onions, 2 sweet red peppers, 4 spring onions, 2 red chillies, 1 thumb size piece ginger, 4 cloves garlic, 1 lime.
- 1 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp freshly ground back pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup 125ml wine
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Scallops cleaned, washed and dried with kitchen paper. Remove the skin of Chorizo and slice thinly. Mince the garlic, cut ginger into stripes. Spring onions quartered and green and white parts separated . Onions slice thinly and red peppers roughly cut.
- Heat up a large non-stick pan then turn down to medium heat, pan-fried the chorizo slices on both side till they're slightly brown. Take them out and leave to one side. Add the scallops in the pan, use the chorizo oil to pan-fry the scallops about 3 minutes on each side until they're slightly brown and just cooked through, take them out and put with the chorizo together.
- Add 1tbsp oil in the pan, fry the ginger, the white part of spring onions, the garlic till they turned brown then add the onions and fry until soft; put the red peppers and the green parts of the spring onions in the pan.
- Add salt and black pepper, lime juice, sugar and wine, continue to fry and cook until the sauce reduce a little, quickly put in the scallops and chorizo, stir well and turn off the fire. Drizzle the honey in the pan, coat and mix everything together. divide the contents into 4 scallops shells or 4 small plate and serve.
During this Easter holiday, why not serve this lovely dish for your family and friends. And to welcome the beautiful Spring together as well!
Wishing all our dear readers a very Happy Easter!!