When I was an art student, I lived with my bosses Mr and Mrs Chan and their two children in their home whilst working for them part-time.
Art students were always poor. I had been at college for two weeks when Mrs Chan found out that I didn't have any lunch every day; without saying anything, she bought me a whole range of different kinds of cold meats, cheese, pate, bread rolls and salad vegetables from delicatessen and green grocer so I could make sandwiches to take to college. I can't tell you how grateful I was!
My friends then only had sandwiches made with sandwich spread, banana, jam or peanut butter. Needless to say; at lunch time, mine were always the most delicious. They all wanted to go back with me and work for Mrs Chan.
前幾天突然間我想念起陳太，和那些吃三明治的日子 ... 天氣剛好不怎麼熱，我便烘了些圓麵包來做我們的午餐。
I thought of Mrs Chan the other day, and those sandwiches that I had all those years ago ... The weather has become cooler, so I baked some sandwich rolls for our lunch.
I know Mrs Chan would have been so proud of me; when I was staying with her, I couldn't even boil an egg.
今天，想起她離開我們已一年半了。但我知道她不會要我難過 ... 記憶中，她經常都是那麼快樂 ...
新鮮出爐的麵包，氣味像極了陳太從她家附近麵包店替我買回來的圓麵包，還有那些烤火腿片、牛肉片和沙 拉 ...
如果陳太現在見到我的話，她會叫我別那麼儍 ... 她不會要我難過。
She never complained about life, she never stopped learning. Last time I saw her, she was telling me excitedly about how she was learning to use the computer, in addition to taking up Salsa dancing and snorkelling ...
It's been a year and a half now since she passed away, but she wouldn't have wanted me to feel sad ... for as long as I remember, she was always happy ...
The freshly baked bread smelled just like those rolls she bought for me from the bakery near her home, and the ham, the beef, the salads ...
If Mrs Chan saw me now she would tell me not to be silly ... she wouldn't have wanted me to feel sad.
( 做 9 個 )
- 一般乾酵母 ( active-dry yeast ) 1 湯匙
- 暖水 125 ml
- 牛奶 ( 全脂或半脂均可 ) 125ml
- 蛋 1 隻
- 已溶無鹽牛油或菜油 2 湯匙
- 砂糖 60g
- 鹽 15g
- 高筋麵粉 ( strong white bread flour protein level 11-13 per cent ) 750g，另預些作抹手和灑桌面之用
Bake Your Own Bread Rolls to Make Sandwiches
( makes 9 )
- 1 tbsp active-dry yeast
- 125 ml warm water
- 125 ml milk ( whole or semi-skimmed )
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 60g caster sugar
- 15g salt
- 750 g Strong white bread flour ( protein level 11-13 per cent ), plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp extra butter to brush over the rolls
1. 小碗中盛進温水，加入酵母拌勻泡 5 分鐘。另一大碗中加進牛奶、蛋、牛油或菜油、糖、鹽一起拌勻。把酵母和水混合液加進大碗內與奶蛋油糖鹽液拌勻。倒入麵粉，用長矽膠抹刀拌勻至成畧帶粘性但不濕爛的麵糰。
2. 桌上灑少許麵粉，雙手塗上麵粉，把麵糰倒在桌面；用力向前推開伸長然後抽回搓揉，將麵糰轉 90 度角再繼續用力向前推開伸長然後抽回搓揉，像在洗衣服板上洗刷的動作。期間把麵糰用割麵刀剷起，雙手拉扯一下、两面向中摺叠，然後提起用力甩打到桌上。重覆這循迴的推、拉、抽回、搓揉、摺叠、提起、用力甩打。繼續把麵糰由橫轉直，手心抹粉，這樣重覆揉搓約 10 分鐘，可以用雙手，也可以用單手。
1. In a small bowl, stir the yeast into the warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes until dissolved. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter/oil, sugar and salt, then add the yeast mixture in and stir until combined. Add all the flour and use a spatula to stir until it becomes a rough dough.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface. coat hands with flour, using the ball of your hand, really pushing away, stretching it, and pulling it back. Make a quarter turn each time, pushing away, stretching and pulling back, turn. Keep repeating the pushing, stretching, pulling back and turn, occasionally folding it in the middle from both sides of the dough, pick it up then drop the dough hard on the work surface and scrape back with the dough cutter, and knead again. Keep kneading like that for 10 minutes, you can use both hands or you can just use one hand.
3. 如麵糰太粘，可灑上少許麵粉，和用沾了麵粉的手推搓，但桌面不要灑太多粉和加太多粉進麵糰，以防搓成過乾的麵糰便會烘成乾硬的麵包。這樣用力推搓揉按約 10 分鐘至麵糰軟靱光滑，不再黏手。用手指戮入時回彈便可以了。
4. 把搓好麵糰滾圓，收口向下揑緊，放進一個均勻塗了油的大碗內，蓋上保鮮膜，置温暖的地方讓其發酵 1 小時至两倍大。
3. If the dough feels too sticky, you can add a little flour onto it, and with flour coated hands to knead, don't knead the dough on a heavily floured surface or adding too much flour into the dough, or you will end up with a stiff dough and brick like bread. Working through the initial wet stage until the dough starts to form a soft, smooth skin. When prod it lightly with the finger and it springs back, then it's ready.
4. Form the dough into a ball, smooth and tuck away the sides and edges under, place it into a lightly oiled large bowl. cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour until the dough at least doubled in size.
5. 將發酵完的麵糰倒在灑了少許麵粉的桌上，雙手抹少許粉，把麵糰捧起拋接成圓球，放回桌上推擺輕壓成四方形，用切麵刀切出大小相約的 9 份。
6. 同雙手把小麵糰光滑的部份向上，收口向下抹揑收緊。曲起手心，用桌面與手之間磨擦滾動將麵糰滾圓。把每個小麵糰輕輕推按成小圓麵包型，放在鋪了烘焙紙的烤盤放進乾淨的大膠袋內作第二次發酵 40 分鐘至再漲大差不多一倍，每個保持適當距離以免發大時黏在一起。
7. 預熱烤爐至 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5。用掃子把第二次發酵好的麵糰上方掃上溶化的牛油。置烤爐內烘 18-20 分鐘至表面顏色均勻的金黄便成了。
5. Once the dough is risen, tip it out onto a lightly floured surface. Coated your hands with flour, pick the dough up and round it into a ball in hands, then put on the work surface to press lightly and form a square shape dough, use a dough cutter to divide the dough into 9 even pieces.
6. Use both hands to turn the smooth side of the small dough upwards, and tuck away the uneven sides under to form a small ball shape. further rolling it into a smooth ball by placing it into a cage formed by your hand and the table, moving your hand around in a circular motion, rotating the ball until the shape has formed.
Transfer the balls onto 2-3 baking parchment lined tray, space them apart to allow room for spreading, and let rise for a second time for about 40 minutes until the dough nearly doubled in size.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5. Melted the butter and brush it over the risen rolls, bake the rolls for 18-20 minutes until golden on top.
Let the rolls cool to room temperature before slicing and using. They are best for making sandwiches on the day and the next day. Any left over rolls can be sliced in half and put in toaster to toast it warm, then served it with butter or use it to make toasted sandwiches.
Dear Little blue,Delete
Hi Jane, 我很爱三文治，我可以三餐都吃它叻！嘻嘻！ReplyDelete
Dear Miss LK,Delete
Miss LK 說得對極了。年輕人出門在外有善心温暖的長輩照顧，日後也會以同樣的心情去幫助身邊有需要的人。是人間美意的循環不息。
Great article again like always!
You made this little simple bun very outstanding and tempting! got to ry this out today! This will be super for making lunch for my hubby! I hv forwarded to my best friends in toronto too, she is very found of baking her own bread!
Thank you so much for passing on this recipe to your friend, how nice of you!
I've seen that you've successfully made the bread rolls, that's wonderful, well done!!
thanks cat for sending me this recipe, i will do it this week. i like bread very much.ReplyDelete
Thank you for dropping by, nice to meet you!
不知我那裡出錯? 原本麵團漲漲的, 但搽完蛋汁後(準備放入焗爐)會像流氣似的縮細左, 謝謝!ReplyDelete