I said in the last post that I was going to share the recipes of our three course dinner with you. Last time I wrote about the starter, so today let's have a look at the main course: the《Crustless Vegetable Quiche》.
Recently I've taken a lot of inspiration from the Slimming World's range of cook books, this is one of them.
Coming across the vegetable quiche recipe reminded me of the Liberian from my college days and his wife; Mr and Mrs P. I was a hard working student, living in my part-time employer's house with their two children at the time. The supper every night would undoubtedly be rich and delicious, but they were always Chinese meals. So every time when I was asked to have a Sunday roast dinner with Mr. and Mrs P, just the thought of the beautifully roasted joint of meat sometimes made me wish I was staying with them instead.
And then one Sunday, when I turned up at their house, at the centre of the dining table, instead of a joint of lamb or a whole chicken, there was a vegetable quiche.
我的臉一定是當塲下沉了。當時仍未想做素食者的 P 太太，在看到我的反應時，望了她先生一眼後便忍不住大笑起來。
My face must have dropped at that instant. Mrs P, who then didn't want to become a vegetarian, on seeing my reaction, looked at her husband and burst out laughing!
But I have to say, that vegetable quiche Mr P spent a whole morning preparing for us was so delicious, it won both Mrs P and I over.
The quiche I made this time was without the crust, it only took 15 minutes to prepare, and 30 minutes in the
oven. In such a short amount of time a beautiful and tasty quiche was ready to serve.
我沒有跨張，那入口的甜潤、鮮美、柔軟和爽脆；比你期待中吃到的 quiche 更美味可口。
I'm not joking, it was so sweet and moist, fresh, soft and crunchy; with all the delightful taste of what you expect from a quiche plus more.
( 4 人份 )
- 雞蛋 6 隻
- 切達芝士 Cheddar cheese 110g 刨碎
- 西蘭花 200g 只要花頭，扯或切或小朵
- 胡瓜 courgette 1 條切成 1 cm 大小
- 中號紅洋葱 1 隻切 1 cm 丁方
- 大隻紅燈籠椒 1 隻切角
- 蒜頭 1 粒搗碎
- 乾混合香草 1 茶匙
- 橄欖油 1½ 湯匙
- 新鮮平葉洋香菜 2 湯匙當裝飾用
Crustless Vegetable Quiche
( serves 4 )
- 6 eggs
- 110 g medium / mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 200 g broccoli, chopped or pulled into small florets
- 1 courgette, cut into 1 cm cube
- 1 medium size red onion cut into 1 cm squares
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. 預熱烤爐至 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4。大碗內把蛋打發開，加進乾混合香草、一半份量的芝士
2. 大平底鍋燒紅下 1 湯匙橄欖油，加入洋葱炒香，再下蒜蓉、紅 椒、胡瓜和西蘭花，下少許鮮磨海鹽黑椒用中火炒數分鐘至香軟爽脆。
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the dried herbs, half ofthe cheese and seasoned with freshly ground salt and black pepper.
2. Heat up a large frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté the onions till soft, then add the garlic, red
pepper, courgettes, the broccoli, freshly ground salt and black pepper; and stir-fry for a few minutes
over a medium heat or until just tender.
3. 用小掃子將 ½ 湯匙橄欖油塗勻圓型烤派盤內。將炒好的菜放盤中。
3. Brush a round pie dish with ½ tbsp olive oil. Add the vegetables.
4. Pour over the egg and cheese mixture.
5. 把餘下的半份芝士均勻洒上。置烤爐內焗 30 - 35 分鐘至表面上的芝士呈金黄微焦便成。
5. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese became
golden and slightly burn.
6. Garnish with the parsley, the quiche can be served directly from the pie dish, or cover the top with a
big plate, carefully turn it over, then use a serving plate to cover and turn again, and is ready to serve.
老公平時出外吃飯不喜歡點素食的菜式，但對這 crustless vegetable quiche 竟然讚不絕口，還要我以後要再做來吃。
My husband doesn't normally order vegetarian dishes when we eat out, but he loved this crustless vegetable quiche so much that he has given me the thumbs up, and asked me to cook it again in the future.
P 先生夫婦两位都 83 歲了，我已有幾年沒見他們；但我們每年聖誕，都會互相寫信交換近況。今年，我會告訴他有關我的《沒有皮的蔬菜芝士蛋派 》，他可能還會向我要食譜也說不定呢！
Mr and Mrs P are both 83 years old now, I haven't seen them for a few years but we write to each other every Christmas. This year, I will tell him about my 《 Crustless Vegetable Quiche》, he may even ask me for the recipe!
VERY NICE MEMORIES FROM MR AND MRS P. I LOVED THIS RECIPE, I REALLY LOVE YOUR KITCHEN, YOUR HUSBAND MUST HAVE ENJOYED SO MUCH THIS DINNER. I WILL COOK THIS ORIGINAL QUICHE RIGHT AWAY FOR LUNCH, MY VEGETARIAN SON IS VISITING, HE WILL SURELY LOVE IT. REGARDSReplyDelete
Thank you for sharing my nostalgic sentiments with me. As we get older, we really do miss our family and friends who are living far away from us and we can’t see often.
Very glad that you liked this recipe and that you would cook it for your son. I hope he likes it too.
My husband loves home-cooked food, his judgements I value, I cook and he eats and comments. It’s a good partnership :)
With warm regards to you and your family too!
I love this recipe because I always lazy to make crust, hehehe , and sound really healthy .ReplyDelete
Thanks ~ don't we all! We usually have a love-hate relationship with making pastries or crusts ... etc, with this recipe, we don't have to worry about it at all, how wonderful!! :)
请问如果没有courgette 可以用什么取代？ 谢谢。ReplyDelete
如果沒有 courgette, 可以用磨菇或茄子代替, 也很好吃的。
Thank you Jane. 还有忍不住要赞美你的食物，照片，实现太美了！ 好像天天都是christmas day!ReplyDelete
買了新餐具嗎??? 很快又到聖誕, 你一定又給我視覺驚喜~ReplyDelete