Ever since I started writing my blog in both languages, my blogger friends and some of my readers seem to have had problems getting my updates. To cut a long story short, I need to start reducing the number of photos I share with you as well as lengths of each post.
If any of you still having problems receiving my updates - in particular those of you who subscribe through FeedBurner - I would really appreciate it if you would let me know.
Bread and Butter pudding has always been one of my favorite desserts. My husband on the other hand has never even given it a chance! Perhaps the name doesn't sound like a proper dessert to him.
Recently I made it for our after - dinner pudding, and he loved it. In order to perfect the pudding so I can serve it as one of my Christmas desserts, I made it two more times, and now I am very happy with the final result.
When I serve my new version of a petite bread and butter pudding, on top of a bowl of warm, freshly - made, vanilla infused custard. The soft, smooth texture of the milk and egg baked bread was nothing like a humble bread and butter pudding. It really felt like I was eating a delicate custard cake. The best surprised was the contrasted crunchy caramel topping. You will have to try it to understand what I mean.
My husband enjoyed so much so that he told me to say this, " If you only make one dessert this Christmas, make it this petite bread and butter pudding."
( 8 人份 )
- 長方型約 12" x 9" 的烤派盤 1 個，塗上牛油
- 中號厚度白方麵包 12 - 14 塊去皮
- 40g 牛油
- 雲尼拿香草莢 1 條或雲尼拿香草精 1 小匙
- 半脫脂奶 600ml + 重乳脂鮮奶油 double cream or heavy cream 200ml ( 如找不到重乳脂鮮奶油的話，總共用 800ml 的全脂奶也可以。)
- 蛋黄 8 隻
- 砂糖 175g，另預多些作做鋪面的焦糖用
- 葡萄雜果乾 100g
- 百蘭地 Brandy 或蘭姆酒 Rum 3 大匙 ( 可以不用 )
Petite Style Bread Pudding《Christmas Desserts》
( Serves 8 )
- 1 pudding dish, lightly brushed with butter
- 12 - 14 medium slices white bread, crusts cut off
- 40g butter
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 600ml semi - skimmed milk + 200ml double cream / heavy cream ( if you can't find double cream, you can use a total of 800ml whole milk instead )
- 8 egg yolks
- 175 caster sugar, plus extra for the carmelised topping
- 100g fruit mix
- 3 tbsp Brandy or Rum ( optional )
- 做這布丁之前一晚用一個小瓶把 50 g 的葡萄乾用拔蘭地或蘭姆酒蓋著浸過夜。( 如果你不打算用酒漬葡萄乾伴布丁上桌的話，可以省回這步驟。)
- 預熱烤箱 180C / 160F / Gas 4。派盤塗上牛油，把每塊麵包的一面也塗上牛油。平放在派盤底部。把沒有浸酒的 50g 葡萄乾均勻排上，和洒上少許豆蔻或肉桂粉。
- The night before you make this pudding, put 50g of the sultanas into a small jar, pour over the brandy or rum, cover tightly and leave to soak overnight. ( If you are not using the brandy or rum soaked sultanas to garnish the puddings, you can skip this step )
- Split the vanilla pod and place in a saucepan with the cream and milk, bring to just the boiling point with medium heat, stir constantly, allow the cream mix to cool a little.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, then strain the slight cooled milk slowly onto the egg yolks, stirring all the time, you now have a custard.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160F / Gas 4. Grease the pie dish with butter, then spread one side of the bread slices evenly with butter too. place them flatly down on the pie dish , arrange the 50g non-alcoholic sultanas all over the bread and sprinkle on some ground nutmeg or cinnamon.
在乳蛋中。放置 20 - 30 分鐘甚至數小時 ( 這步驟很重要，絕不能省 )。
6. 把派盤放進一個較大的烤盤內，注入沸水至 3/4 的高度，將烤盤連派盤一起小心置烤箱
內，烤 20 - 30 分鐘，至用刀插進麵包時抽出來沒黏物便成。不要烤過時，不然蛋便不
滑了。( 我的烤了 25 分鐘 )
5. Layer the rest of the bread slices on top. Pour over the warm custard, lightly pressing the bread to help it to soak in, and leave it to stand for at least 20 - 30 minutes or even a few hours ( this is very
important, you mustn't skip this step ).
6. Place the dish in a bigger roasting tray, three quarters filled with hot water and baked for 20 - 30minutes, when you insert a knife in the middle and come out clean, then it's done, don't over cook it or the custard will scramble. ( I baked mine for 25 minutes )
7. 在烤好的布丁面上均勻地洒上砂糖，放在 hot grill 下烘熔成焦糖。如你的 grill 不夠大的話，可分幾部份伸進去烘，但要小心不要烘得太焦。也可以用噴火槍將表面燒成焦糖。
8. 完全涼化後可以洒上糖霜粉，用圓模印出布丁，放在買回或自製的奶蛋羹 custard 上，圍放
7. On top of the freshly baked pudding, sprinkle evenly with caster sugar and glaze under the grill on amedium heat, or with a torch gun to a crunchy golden finish.
8. when the pudding is completely cool, dust the top with icing sugar. Use a round mould to cut out round shapes, served them on top of a bowl of shop bought or homemade custard, scatter some brandy/rum soaked sultanas around.
- 做好或吃不完的布丁可以在冰箱內保存數天，吃時置微波爐內根據性能熱 1 分鐘左右，再伴上熱 custard 便行。甚至吃前 2 小時從冰箱取出，室温上桌，與熱 custard 同吃也可。
- The pudding can be made and kept in the fridge for up to a few days before serving, and the left-over portions can be covered and kept for a few days too. when you are ready to serve the puddings again, just cut it out and put in the microwave to heat up for about a minute according to the manufacturer's manual, and served it with hot custard. Or take the pudding out from fridge 2 hours before serving, served in room temperature with hot custard.
P.S. You can find the recipe of homemade custard in this post - Apple crumble with homemade custard.
Thank you Jane, I'll try to make in soon. But what side is the pudding tray? And I would like to know how you make the custard too. Thanks again!ReplyDelete
Hi again, I mean what size is the pudding tray? Thanks!ReplyDelete
So happy to know that you would like to make this pudding. If you follow the recipe closely, you shouldn't be disappointed!
Sorry, forgot to say, My tray size is 9" x 12", updated on my blog now, thank you!!
I will post the egg custard recipe as soon as I can, many thanks again !!
I always like bread pudding, you are brilliant to prepare it petite so one pudding sure not enough .ReplyDelete
Me too!! Don't know why, the name of bread and butter pudding always sound very comforting to me. You're right, now that my husband is converted, he didn't just have one portion, he had 4!!
Thank you, Jane, it is such a lovely dish. I am going to buy the ingredient and make it! Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
You're more than welcome! I hope you will have a lot of fun making and sharing it with your family or guests over Christmas!!
謝謝你!! 是啊! FeedBurner 有限定最長的篇幅不能超過 Maximum allowed response size, 我也不知道自己早超過了，很多網友告訴我沒看到訂閱上顯示我的 updates, 我也不知是甚麽原因 ... 希望現在 ok 了 :)
The bread pudding looks marvelous! I want to wish you happy holidays!
Thank you very much!!
你是個大情大性的文學藝術家，自然會常被天賦的矛盾思想煎熬。一方面瀟灑豪邁，一方面釋放不下。一方面知命隨緣，一方面努力爭取 ... 就是因為有你這樣的天才，你的生命就註定了不平凡 ...
想念著你 ... 預祝你聖誕快樂，健康幸福!!
looks so yummy! i love the photos you takeReplyDelete
Thank you so much for liking both my cooking and my photography :)
Seems like you have been having Christmas dinner every single night!ReplyDelete
Haha like you said, it's illusions ~ I only publish 4-5 posts in a month, that makes it about one dinner per week ?! ;p
你好,這個甜品真的很適合在xmas party做,請問也可以share homemade custard 的做法嗎? 謝謝!ReplyDelete
謝謝你！對啊！就是想把這布甸做到適合作聖誕 party 甜品呢。
好的, 雖然這幾天很忙，我會盡快寫好 homemade custard 食譜與大家分享的了。