Recently, more and more of my friends and family have become vegetarians. When they come to my house for dinner, I like to spend time cooking something special for them.
Occasionally friends have turned to me for inspiration for vegetarian recipes, asking me to share my meat free ideas.
We've also started to reduce our own intake of meat. Because of that, I have gradually discovered, in fact, the choice of ingredients for creating vegetable based meals is actually plentiful, fun and exciting.
I've since built up quite a substantial collection of vegetarian dishes. Today I would like to share with you, "Meatless Mushroom Meatballs".
( 4 - 6 人份 )
- 栗蘑菇 chestnut mushrooms 或褐蘑菇 brown mushrooms 250g
- 中型洋蔥 1 個，切小丁
- 蒜頭 2 瓣，剁蓉
- 切達起司 Cheddar cheese 75g, 刨碎
- 煮熟糙米飯 cooked brown rice 150g
- 全麥方麵包片 4 塊撕碎，放進攪拌機打碎成糠包糠，約 125g
- 蛋 1 隻
- 生抽 (醬油) 2 大匙
- 橄欖油 3 大匙
- 半脂酸奶油 half-fat crème fraîche 250g
- 檸檬外皮 1 個，磨屑
- 新鮮九層塔葉 1 大把，剪碎
- 熱平底不沾鍋下油 1 大匙，下蒜蓉洋蔥丁用中火炒至香軟，約 5 分鐘。加進蘑菇，用大火炒至軟熟和收乾水份，離火，待涼。
- 蘑菇碎放涼後，將起司、熟糙米飯、麵包糠、生抽 (醬油)、蛋和適量海鹽鮮磨黑椒加入完全拌勻，用手搓成合桃大小的蘑菇肉丸。
- 把平底鍋抹浄，中火熱鍋下油 1 大匙，將蘑菇丸分成兩份。先把 1 份下鍋每面煎至金黃，約 5 - 10分鐘。取起盛盤，把鍋抹浄，再用中火熱鍋下油 1 大匙，把餘下的 1 份如上煎熟，盛起。可以把全部的蘑菇丸放在同一大盤中，送進低溫預熱的烤箱內保溫，直至需要上桌時才煮醬汁取出盛盤。
Meatless Mushroom Meatballs
( serves 4 - 6 )
- 250g chestnut mushrooms or brown mushrooms
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g cooked brown rice
- 4 slices of brown bread, whiz in food processor until become fine crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce :
- 250g half-fat crème fraîche
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Large handful fresh basil, chopped or cut by scissors
- Cut up the mushrooms roughly, whiz mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat, fry the garlic and onions until soft and golden, about 5 minutes; then add the mushrooms and cook over high heat until tender and any liquid in the pan evaporated. Set aside to cool completely.
- To the mushroom pan, stir in the cheese, cooked brown rice, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, egg and some salt and pepper. Form the mixture into walnut-sized balls.
- Wipe clean the pan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in the pan, separate the mushrooms balls into 2 batches. Fry the first batch of the balls, turning occasionally until all sides are golden and pipping hot, about 5 - 10 minutes, set aside. Fry the 2nd batch of the balls the same way. The finished mushroom balls can be put inside a pre-heat oven in low heat to keep warm until ready to serve.
- To make the sauce, melt the crème fraîche in the empty pan, then stir in the lemon zest, the basil and some salt and pepper. Serve sauce on top of meatballs with rice or pasta.
Tip : If use cooked sushi rice instead of cooked brown rice, the meat balls are easier to roll into round shape, and the texture better.