After living in the UK for some time, I found that many British families have this similar habit too. When a popular family programme is scheduled to be broadcast in the evening, snacks and drinks are snatched up in the supermarkets. Additionally, lots of Chinese, Indian and Italian takeaway shops became extra busy.
Enjoying food while watching favourite TV programmes seems to be nothing short of a family tradition in a lot of households.
The World Cup only being held once every 4 years, to some dedicated football fans it's as important if not more important than the Olympics.
Because of the time difference, the broadcasting schedule for each match may not be on during your daytime. However, this Sunday, it doesn't matter where you are. It doesn't matter if your dad, your husband, your son or even your daughter likes football or not: it's Father's Day in a lot of countries. So let's cook up some exciting and delicious food to share with our family, such as this 《 Skewered Satay Chicken with Spicy Peanut and Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce 》.
It's very simple to make, you can cook the meat on the barbecue, under the grill or in the oven. If you don't want to do a BBQ, haven't got an oven or a grill; then simply put the skewered chicken in a lightly oiled non-stick pan, to pan fry both side until cooked. It's so easy to do yet so delicious, what a great way to spoil someone you love!
Skewered Satay Chicken with Spicy Peanut and Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
( 做 14 - 16 串 )
- 雞腿 4 塊除皮去骨切小長方塊
- 竹籤 16 枝泡水 1 小時備用
- 薑指頭大小 1 塊拍扁剁蓉
- 蒜頭 2 瓣去衣拍扁剁蓉
- 荽茜 (香菜) 粉 ½ 小匙
- 小茴香粉 ½ 小匙
- 咖喱粉 1 小匙
- 紅糖 1 大匙
- 橄欖油 2 大匙
- 魚露 1 大匙
( makes 14 - 16 skewers )
For the chicken skewers and the marinade:
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 16 bamboo sticks soaked in water for an hour before use
- A thumb size piece ginger crushed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 烤花生 120g 打碎或剁成粗粒
- 橄欖油 1 大匙
- 中號洋葱 1 個切碎粒
- 蒜頭 2 瓣剁蓉
- 檸檬草 1 株去外皮割去底部切小粒
- 咖哩粉 1 茶匙
- ¼ 茶匙小茴香粉
- 椰奶或椰漿 1 杯 250ml
- 紅糖 2 大匙
- 羅望子醬 tamarind sauce 2 茶匙
- 青檸汁 2 茶匙
- 花生醬 1 大匙 ( 後加 )
For the Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce ：
- 120g roasted peanuts blend, process or chop until crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 red chillies seed removed, finely chopped
- 1 fresh lemon grass finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp tamarind sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp peanut butter ( not in the photo )
- 白醋 60 ml
- 白砂糖 60 g
- 水 1½ 大匙
- 青瓜 (小黃瓜) ¼ 條切小粒
For the Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 60 g sugar
- 1½ tbsp water
- ½ carrot finely chopped
- ¼ cucumber finely chopped
- 小鍋子中加進白醋、糖和水，中火加熱煮沸後放涼 3 分鐘。淋在紅蘿蔔和青瓜粒上拌勻，待涼後便成甜酸蘸汁 。
Method for the Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce：
- Combine vinegar, sugar and water in a small pan over medium heat and bring to the boil, uncovered for 3 minutes. Pour syrup over carrot and cucumber in serving bowl, serve as the dipping sauce when cool.
- 把雞肉放進大碗中，加入所有醃料拌勻，蓋上保鮮膜，置冰箱內醃 1 小時以上。
- 預熱烤箱 220 C / 425 F / Gas 7，把雞肉串在竹籤上，每串兩塊雞肉。串起後放進烤箱烤 20 - 25 分鐘左右至熟，其間翻轉 2、3 次讓上下烤成均勻的金黃。
Method for the Chicken Skewers:
- Combine all the marinade in a large bowl, add the chicken and stir well. Cover, refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 220 C / 425 F / Gas 7, thread two pieces of chicken onto each skewer. Place the tray of chicken skewers into the oven and roast for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked and golden all over, turning 2 - 3 times during cooking.
- You can also place the chicken skewers onto the BBQ or under a hot grill to barbecue or grill until cooked and golden.
Method for the Peanut Sauce：
- Heat pan and add oil, add onion, garlic, chillies, lemon grass, curry powder, ground cumin and coriander, stir and fry until onion is soft. Add the peanuts and remaining ingredients, cook until heated through.
Place the skewered chicken on a tray, served it with the spicy peanut satay and sweet and sour dipping sauce, accompanied by rice or a salad, with a cold drink; what a lovely and appetizing meal for a hot summer day!