不知道在其他地方居住的人，會不會像我們在英國的一樣 ; 天氣一放晴，便馬上在家中的後花園舉行燒烤。
日間無論怎麼炎熱，工作如何困累 ; 悠長舒適的黃昏是整天奔波後的慰勞。
就算是繁忙的家庭，只要大家分工合作 ; 媽媽預備各式材料，爸爸生火並開始燒烤，孩子們幫手弄沙拉、擺檯等。
一家人自娛或邀朋友鄰居參與。啜著冷飲，等一批烤好的食物上盤搶光後，爸爸趕快把另一批排放在吱吱喳喳的炭爐架上。孩子們等待新的烤肉補給期間，在旁玩戲，大人們聊天。那也是從前孩子們在家時我們夏日家庭 BBQ 的樂趣。
The summer this year has been really lovely…most of the time, and so far we’ve had beautiful weather most days.
No matter how strongly the sun has shone during the afternoons, however, we’re rewarded at the end of the day by sweet, cool evenings.
Barbecues can be a stress-free event if everyone helps out. Our family has its own routine, refined through years of practice! I’ll prepare the ingredients; my husband will start the fire, and be in charge of cooking; and the children pitch in by making the salad or setting up the table.
We’ve enjoyed barbecues for just the four of us, or with our family and friends there to join us. It’s a lovely way to spend a summer’s day; sipping cool drinks whilst waiting for the meat to cook, and snatching the tasty morsels away from the plate as soon as they’re ready. The children, their hunger sated, would run around playing happily whilst the adults took the time to catch up as the hot day slid into the evening.
The other evening, after a busy day, my husband and I were tired and hungry. The sunset was soft yet still bright, and we were suddenly in the mood for a barbeque. After such a long day though, neither of us had the energy to do it! Instead, I quickly rustled up this spatchcocked piri piri chicken, served with salad and boiled new potatoes. It was the perfect meal to eat outside.
( 3 - 4 人份 )
- 放養雞 1 隻 (約 1½ kg / 3lb 5 oz)
- 紅辣椒 2 - 4 隻 粗切 ( 隨個人喜辣程度加減，如不愛辣可去籽)
- 蒜頭 3 瓣拍扁
- 洋蔥 1/4 個切角
- 辣椒粉 sweet paprika 2 茶匙
- 檸檬汁 2 湯匙
- 莞茜 2 湯匙粗切
- 橄欖油 2 湯匙
- 塔巴斯科辣醬汁 Tabasco sauce 數滴或隨意
- 海鹽和鮮磨黑椒各 2 茶匙或隨意
- 糖 2 茶匙
另預 1 湯匙橄欖油作煎雞時用
Spatchcock Piri - Piri Chicken
( serves 3 - 4 )
• 1 free range chicken ( about 1½ kg / 3lb 5 oz)
• 2 - 4 red chillies chopped ( according to taste, deseeded if you don't like it too hot )
• 3 cloves garlic crushed
• 1/4 onions cut into squares
• 2 tsp sweet paprika
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp coriander chopped
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• A few drops of Tabasco sauce (optional)
• 2 tsp each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To spatchcock the chicken, first place the chicken on a board, with the backbone is facing you. Use a pair of kitchen scissors or a kitchen knife to cut away the end of the chicken wings, the bottom and the end bit of the legs.
5. 用碗中醬料把整隻雞全身裏外塗勻，蓋上保鮮膜，置冰箱內醃 1 小時以上，或過夜更好。
6. 預熱烤爐 220C / 425F / Gas7 。然後燒熱凸坑鑊下油 1 湯匙。
7. 把雞連皮那邊放進按下，煎 5 分鐘，然後反轉另一面也煎 5 分鐘。
8. 把雞取起，放在有烤架的烤盤上，置烤爐中烤 45 - 55 分鐘至熟。可用食物溫度計插進最厚的部份測量，如達到了 71C 以上便可以停火取出。也可以用刀插進腿或胸部，流出的液體是透明的便是熟了。
8. Lift the chicken onto the rack and place on top of the baking tray, put in the oven to cook a further 45 - 55 minutes until cooked through. Insert a food thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, if the temperature reaches 71C, then the chicken is cooked. Alternatively, check by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the thigh or the breast to see if the juices run clear, if not, cook a little bit longer to ensure it's cooked through.
9. 取出趁熱上桌，隨口味伴以檸檬角、塔巴士科辣醬汁 Tabasco sauce 或灑上少許辣椒粉 sweet paprika。
這個暑假，家中若有訪客、想在短時間內為家人朋友泡製出豐富卻簡易美味的大餐或輕食、換換口味 、或想在一個烤爐中同時烤兩隻燒雞的話 ，便一定要試做這個展平的烤雞。
With the backbone removed and the frame of the chicken opened up, the breast meat is pressed flat. Roasting a spatchcocked chicken is much easier than roasting a chicken the traditional way, and it looks appetising and different!
If you have unexpected visitors, want to produce a quick but delicious meal for family or friends, wish to roast multiple chickens at once, or simply want to try something different, you must try this spatchcock piri-piri chicken; it is perfect for the summer!
However, if you do decide to roast two chickens at the same time, make sure you adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure they are both cooked thorougly.