' Cheung Fun ' - literally ' rice flour roll ' is one of the most popular dim-sum in Chinese restaurants. It's also our family favourite.
Recently our children asked if I can make them as part of our Chinese New Year feast when they come back for the festival celebrations.
I immediately started doing research and gathered information. I remembered seeing my boss' wife, Mrs C making them while I was a student and living with their family. I also saw Mrs Chan's Vietnamese friends making a similar type of rice roll.
I tried a few different methods to make the batter which forms the rolls; before experimenting with different fillings: dried shrimps with spring onions; king prawns; and honey roasted pork. After putting a few different recipes through their paces, I came up with the recipe which produced perfectly - tasting rolls - but only when they were freshly made. In spite of their simplicity, and the fact that they aren't actually that complicated to make, these rolls still require a lot of time and attention; especially if you're planning on making a lot. You can't really lock yourself in the kitchen just to make them for your visitors when you're supposed to be sitting and chatting with them.
為了要研究做出來的腸粉可以放在冰箱裏，第二天要吃時再蒸或用微波爐 '叮' 熱，而不失原來的水準；我試了又試。
I needed to create a type of rice roll which could be made in advance, to be reheated on the arrival of visitors either by being steamed or microwaved.
我需要做出來的粉皮夠薄但柔中帶彈性，不會脆，不會斷。於是我放棄了大家慣用的粘米粉 + 澄麵粉 + 栗粉的方程式，改用粘米粉 + 馬蹄粉 + 粟粉 + 薯粉。蒸好的粉皮，捲時十分柔靱輕易，整條腸粉可以提起來而不會折斷。新鮮吃時軟滑彈牙，重熱時依然爽滑。
The rice flour rolls have to be thin but soft and bouncy, will not be broken easily. Instead of using the normal formula of rice flour + wheat starch + corn flour; I used rice flour + water chestnut starch + potato starch + corn flour. The resulting rice rolls were so easy to roll up after steaming, and yet so soft and stretchy. Most importantly, they didn't fall apart when picked up with chopsticks. But best of all, they taste as amazing when reheated, as they do when they are eaten freshly made.
After a couple of days working to improve the recipe, and with my husband's great help in passing the valuable opinions, I was very happy with the final result of the rice flour rolls.
實在急不及待的要與大家分享！從此以後，隨時隨地，你們都可以在家自己做腸粉吃，包進甚麼餡料也行。新鮮做起吃進口時，感覺比茶樓的更美味。如預先知道有親友到訪，可在前一天把腸粉做好，放凉後用保鮮紙蓋著置冰箱內。第二天取出，可放滿一碟，用蒸籠隔水蒸十分鐘左右至熱透，或用保鮮紙蓋著整碟，放進微波爐內 5 -6 分鐘左右熱透都可。之後再用小碟子把腸粉盛開上桌，淋上自己調配的腸粉醬油，看去更加精美可愛。
I am so eager to share this with you! Think of it: from now on, you can make rice flour rolls at home anytime; using whichever type of filling you like. If you're expecting guests you can make these a day before, just cover them with cling film and keep them in the fridge once they've cooled. When needed, just fill a plate with the rolls and either steam them for 10 minutes, or microwave them for 5 - 6 minutes. Make sure they're pipping hot before transferring them to a few small plates and to serve with homemade sweet soy sauce.
I am so excited about this. I hope you will try to do it as soon as you can, and let me see your beautiful results, I can't wait!
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me any time at all.
( 做 16 -18 條 )
- 粘米粉 rice flour 200g
- 馬蹄粉 water chestnut flour 50g
- 粟粉 corn flour 50g
- 薯粉 ( 生粉 potato flour / starch ) 50g
- 生油 50ml
- 鹽 10g
- 清水 1200ml
- 8" x 8" 不黏底易潔烤盤 2 個
- 連蓋大蒸籠 / 鍋 / 煲 1 個
- 蝦米 4 湯匙，用沸水浸軟，葱段 4 湯匙切成幼薄葱花。
- 义燒 4 湯匙切成薄片小丁方，太大的話捲時容另把粉皮弄穿。
- 大蝦 12 隻去壳去腸，用少許胡椒粉、鹽、糖、麻油和生粉拌勻，放在碟上蒸數分鐘至熟，瀝去水份備用。
Homemade Rice Flour Rolls【Chinese New Year Celebration Food】
Ingredients for the batter
( makes 16 - 18 rolls )
- 200g rice flour
- 50g water chestnut flour
- 50g corn flour
- 50g potato flour / starch
- 50ml oil
- 10g salt
- 1200ml water
- 2 non-stick 8" x 8" roasting tins
- 1 large steamer or a big pan with lid
- Soak 4 tbsp small dried shrimps in hot water until they become soft, and finely slice 4 tbsp spring onions.
- Diced 4 tbsp honey roasted pork into thin and small pieces.
- 12 king prawns peeled, deveined and washed. Marinated with a little salt, white pepper, sugar, sesame oil and corn flour. Put on a plate to steam for a few minutes till cooked, drain off any fluid, leave to one side.
- 所有材料放進大碗裏( 除清水外 )，然後水分 3 次加入與粉逐漸拌勻至滑，成稀粉漿。過篩 3 次，放在一旁靜置備用。
- 用大煲或蒸籠，注入約 3 吋水。把水燒開。
- 烤盤塗油，攪勻粉漿，用杓盛粉漿至量杯內量 100 ml 的粉漿，倒入烤盤，隨喜歡加入餡料，可用手指把粉漿推到四邊方角去填滿。
- 大蝦和义燒要排在一旁偏 1/3 左右的位置，好方便蒸好捲腸粉時可以包捲進去。
- 蓋密。有肉有蝦的粉皮水沸後放進用大火蒸 8 分鐘，淨粉皮或下蔥花蝦米的只需大火蒸 7 分鐘。不能多不能少，蒸過火的粉皮會變糊。打開蓋時會看見一些漲起的小水泡，但會隨即平伏下來。
- 取起盛蒸好粉皮的盤暫置一旁讓其放涼。把另一隻烤盤重覆以上 4. 5. 6. 三個步驟蒸第二張粉皮。記著每次用湯杓盛起粉漿前都要再攪勻一次。
- 樽或碗內先放入 2 平湯匙糖，加入 12 湯匙沸水，拌至糖完全溶化後加入 1 湯匙熟油；1 湯匙李錦記特級鮮味生抽，1 湯匙李錦記特級老抽。把全部醬油糖水拌勻，便成為香甜美味的腸粉醬油。
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl ( except the water ), add the water in 3 successions to mix really well with all the flour and starch until they have all dissolved and became a thin and smooth batter. Strain the batter through a sieve three times before leaving it to one side to rest, while you are getting on with rest of the procedures.
- Use a big pan or a steamer, fill with about 3 inches of water and bring to the boil.
- Lightly grease the tin; stir the batter well and ladle into measuring jug to measure 100 ml of batter to pour into the tin. Add any filling of your choice. You can use your fingers to push the batter to fill the corners.
- If adding king prawn or the roasted pork, place them to one side for easy rolling after.
- Place the tin in the steamer and put the lid on. For the batter with added king prawn or meat, steam on a high heat for 8 minutes, for the batter with the dried shrimps and spring onions, you only need to steam on a high heat for 7 minutes. Please pay attention at all times, over steamed rice pastry will become soggy. When opening the lid, the pastry would have some large rising air pockets, but they will settle back down almost immediately.
- Leave the baking tin with the steamed rice flour pastry to one side, and proceed to put batter into another tin, repeating the above 4. 5. 6 steps to steam another rice flour roll pastry. Remember to stir the batter well again each time before you ladle it into the measuring jug.
- Lightly oil the dough cutter, carefully lift the steamed rice flour pastry up from the tin, and slowly roll it up into the shape of a rice flour roll. Carry on until all the batter have finished. Fill the pan up with boiling water again whenever it needs.
- When rolling up the rice pastry with the roasted pork in it, you may find the pastry tears quite easily, just use the dough cutter gently scrape and lift it up and roll it over, helped by the other hand to quickly wrap it up, covered by the rest of the smooth pastry. Use a larger dough cutter would also help lifting the steamed rice pastry.
- Into a jar or a bowl, dissolved 2 level tablespoon sugar with 12 tablespoon boiling water; then add 1 tablespoon heated ground nut / corn oil, stir to mix well before adding 1 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce. Carry on to stir and mix everything well together to produce a sweet soy sauce for the rice flour rolls.
There's 2 weeks before the Lunar New Year arrives, you can use this time to practice, by the time the festive celebration starts, you have already became an expert and can show off your skill then.
Please bear this in mind. I've spent a lot of time and effort to fine tune this recipe down to the finest detail. Try not to alter the ingredients or their quantities, or you won't get the perfect result you desired.