Having been married to my husband for thirty years, you might think that by now I would understand him very well. However, this is not the case. I have now come to the conclusion that as he is a man and I am a woman, this divergence of opinions is set to remain. I think if I was able to understand his mindset, I would do by now!
自小至大他只支持一個球隊，就是曼聯 Manchester United。現時已退休的前球隊經理費高信 Ferguson 於 1986 年上任後，他在過去 26 年來對曼聯的擁戴更是有過知而無不及。特別是Ferguson 處理球員的態度，他欽佩得很。
長話短說。自從我開始寫書之後，他現在每天就用 Ferguson 的方式來「管理」我！
One specific part of his behaviour I find hard to comprehend is his interest in football. The complete seriousness and dedication he shows in his support of the game is astounding.
This support is directed in particular to Manchester United football club. Since childhood he has been fascinated by the team, and this interests only increased when now retired Man United manager Alex Ferguson joined the club as manager 26 years ago.
His devotion to the team has been astonishing, he has the utmost respect and admiration for Ferguson and the way he handles his players.
To cut a long story short, ever since I started the process of writing my book, he has been trying to " manage " me as strictly as Ferguson to his footballers.
He is so worried that I may not be able to complete everything before the deadline, he is even limiting the hours that I'm allowed to go on line!
He doesn't understand, unlike men, we women can easily multi-task; but then he's a man, I don't expect him to understand.
Anyway, the short holiday that our daughter took from work to come home and spent with us has came to an end. After our family dinner, both our son and our daughter went their separate way back to the cities where they reside. Our house is becoming too quiet once again.
As usual, I keep myself busy by working hard. Since I've been making reasonable progress; I treated us with this tasty Thai style fishcakes for our lunch the other day, when the weather suddenly became hot and humid. And I thought of you my dear readers, who may be interested in this recipe. I decided to use my " Free time " to write and share this with you.
This dish is really easy to do. You can either pan-fried these little fishcakes on both side until they are cooked or bake them in the oven until slightly golden.
( 做約 18 個 )
- 魚肉 500g 切塊 ( 任何魚肉均可 )
- 新鮮大蝦 200g 去殼挑腸冲淨
- 紅燈籠椒 1 隻去籽切角
- 紅辣椒 1 隻切粗粒 ( 不愛太辣的可以去籽 )
- 莞茜 1 把切段
- 葱 4 株切段
- 蒜頭 2 粒去衣拍扁
- 蛋1 隻，發勻
- 檸檬草 1 條除去硬外層，拍扁底部切幼粒
- 鹽 1 茶匙
- 魚露 1 湯匙
- 生抽 ( 醬油 )1 茶匙
- 糖 1 茶匙
- 麻油 1 茶匙
- 幼豆角 125 g 摘去尾部切至 5 mm 左右小粒
Thai Style Fishcakes
( makes about 18 )
- 500g skinless fish fillets
- 200g raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- a small handful of fresh coriander
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon grass, remove the outer layer, bottom part crushed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 125 g green beans, trimmed and cut into 5 mm pieces
- Olive oil spray
- sweet chilli sauce to serve ( opitional )
- 加入幼豆角粒，拌勻。蓋著置冰箱內 2 小時或隔夜 。
- 如用烤的方法：預熱烤爐至 200C / 392 F / Gas 6。烤盤上放烘焙紙，噴一層薄薄的橄欖油，放小圓型模具在上。用鋼餐匙把魚膠盛進圈內，輕輕按下魚膠，取起小圓型模具，魚膠定形成小魚餅狀，繼續至全部魚膠用完。輕輕在上噴一層橄欖油。置烤爐內烤 15 - 20 分鐘左右或至两面呈均勻金黃色澤。期間反轉一次並噴一層薄薄的橄欖油。
- 如用煎的方法：不黏平底鍋燒紅，下油 1 湯匙旋勻，轉小火。用圓鋼湯匙盛一匙鱼膠進鍋內，另外用一隻沾過油的鋼湯匙輕輕把魚膠推按成小圓餅狀；繼續至全部魚膠放下了，你可能要分 2 次煎。改用中火两面煎至金香和熟，期間翻轉一次。
- Put the fish, tiger prawns, red pepper, chilli, coriander, spring onions, garlic, egg, lemon grass and all the seasonings in a food processor. Blend to a smooth and sticky paste and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir the green beans into the fish mixture, cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- To bake: Preheat the oven to 200C / 392 F / Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and lightly spray a layer of olive oil cooking spray. Place a metal ring on the tray, use a metal dessert spoon to put a spoonful of the fish mixture into the ring, press down to fill the ring. Lift the metal ring up, a small cake shape is formed. Continue until all the fish mixture is finished. Lightly spray all the fishcakes with the olive oil cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are lightly golden on both sides, turning once and lightly spray with oil again during cooking.
- To pan-fried: Heat 1 tbsp oil in a hot non-stick frying pan, turn the heat to low. Use a metal round soup spoon to put a large spoonful fish mixture into the pan, gently press and shape the mixture into small flat cakes with another oil coated spoon. Continue adding the fish mixture into the pan to form small cakes until finished. Turn the heat up to medium, fry the fishcakes on both sides until they are golden evenly and cooked through; turning once during cooking. You may have to do it in 2 batches.
- Serve the fishcakes with salad, cucumber relish and sweet chilli sauce.
I liked to have my fish cake baked, my husband loved them pan-fried. When you cook yours, you can have it whichever way you like.