Before I left Hong Kong, between the few years that I finished school and came to study abroad, I worked as an assistant artist; first at the Shaw Brothers (HK) Ltd, then at the Hotel Furama.
With the first job, I watched a lot of films. With the second job, I ate a lot of food.
在富麗華時，我們的美術部是在三十一層高的頂樓。我們的下一層便是酒店的 La Ronda 餐廳。La Ronda 是當時唯一以 360˚ 於一小時內慢慢旋轉一圈的餐廳，可以俯瞰整個中環全景。每天中午和傍晚都供應豐富美味的自助餐，晚上還有現塲音樂演奏。
At Furama, our Art Department was at the top 31st floor. Below us was the La Ronda Restaurant, the only one in Hong Kong with the magnificent panoramic view that would revolve 360˚ every hour at that time.
La Ronda served fabulous lunch and dinner buffets with live music nightly. Because one of our colleagues was very friendly with the manager and the kitchen staff, each day after lunch hours finished we were guaranteed to have plateful after plateful of good food brought up to our studio to share.
Yet come afternoon tea-time, we would still be feeling peckish. Then a game of lucky (unlucky) draw was played. We used a thick telephone book, and each one of us would randomly open a page. Whoever’s page number added up to be the smallest, had to be the “runner” to go and buy the snacks.
Most of the time, everybody would just ask for the “club sandwich”; as we all thought the shop which sold them made the best club sandwiches in the area. Even though we ran the risk of bumping into the General Manager on the way back, meaning that we had to hide the food, it was still worth it.
Those memories fondly stayed with me even after all these years.
前幾天我在讀著一本 Slimming World 的雜誌時，看到其中一款沙律，就是以公司三文治的作法為主題。我知道我必定要做一道來重温當年的滋味。
Traditionally, the Club sandwich is a sandwich with cooked chicken breast and bacon, along with tomatoes and lettuce layered between three slices of toasted bread, with mayonnaise.
Recently I was reading a Slimming World magazine, and came across one of their salads, which was inspired by the club sandwiches. I knew I had to make one for the old time’s sake.
(3 - 4 人份 )
無皮雞胸 2 隻
煙肉 4 片
蛋 4 隻
小馬玲薯随意 ( 我最後决定用麵包來伴沙律上桌，沒有加進小馬玲薯 )。
小生菜 2 棵葉分散把葉折開分散
黄椒 1 隻去籽切幼條
綠豆角 200g 去尾部中間斷去
紅洋葱 1 隻切幼絲
橄欖油 2 茶匙
橄欖油 1 湯匙
白香醋 3 湯匙
無脂天然優格 fat - free nature yogurt 4 湯匙
有籽芥末醬 1 大湯匙
蜜糖 1 湯匙
新鮮細香葱 fresh chives 1 小撮切粒
Ingredients for Salad
2 skinless chicken breasts
4 rashers back bacon
400g baby new potatoes ( I decided to serve bread at the table, didn't use the potatoes in the end )
2 little gem lettuces, leaves separated
200g cherry vine tomatoes
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
200g green beans, end cut off and cut into halves
1 red onion peeled and thinly sliced
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
Ingredients for the dressing
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp fat - free natural yohurt
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp honey
A small handful of fresh chives finely chopped
- 如果用小馬玲薯的話，煲 12 - 15 分鐘至軟，瀝乾放涼切角備用。
- 預熱烤架 grill 至中高温度，把煙肉放下，每邊烤 3 - 4 分鐘或至香脆，隨意切塊備用。將雞胸肉用手心或菜刀把最厚部份拍扁；兩邊用少許橄欖油抹勻，磨上海鹽黑椒末，置烤架下每邊烤 8 - 10 分鐘至熟，放涼後切角。
- 水蒸蛋的平底鍋注水燒開。小容器上用廚紙沾少許油抹勻，蛋打進，磨上少許鹽，下蓋，水滾後改小火。蒸 5 分鐘後熄火，讓蛋留在蓋著的熱氣中再待 5 分鐘。取出放涼後切角。(如沒蒸蛋鍋，可把整隻蛋連殼放滾水中，煲 7 分鐘左右，取出置冷水 10 分鐘，去殼切方角 )。
- 綠豆角煲 3 - 5 分鐘至軟，冲冷水瀝乾。把所有沙律材料置大碗中拌勻，蛋可以後下以防搗爛。
- If using small new potatoes, boil them for 12 - 15 minutes. Drain, halved or quartered and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium - high, grill the bacon for 3 - 4 minutes each side, or until crisp. roughly chop and set aside. Put the chicken on the grill rack, spread a little bit of olive oil on each side, seasoned with salt and black pepper, grill for 8 - 10 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Cut into chunks.
- Half fill water into the poached egg pan. Break the eggs into the egg holders, grind some salt over, cover and bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, leave the eggs in the covered pan for another 5 minutes, then remove to cool. Cut into quarters. ( If you haven't got an egg poacher pan, just hard boil the eggs for 7 minutes, remove from the pan and place in cold water to cool. Peel off the shells and quarter ).
- Boil the beans for 3 - 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water. Transfer all the ingredients into a large bowl and mixed well together, put the eggs in only after everything has been stirred around, to prevent them from breaking apart.
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a jar, screwed the lid tightly, shook vigorously up and down until all blended well. Unscrew the jar carefully and pour most of the dressing over the salad and toss gently and serve, with the remaining dressing at the side for drizzling over.
This club-sandwich-inspired salad, is so easy to make, but very healthy and delicious. You can enjoy it all year round.