最近聽世界各地的朋友們都說他們的夏天有多熱，動輒都 36 - 38 ˚ C。我記起這麼熱的經驗也只有幾年前去美國佛羅尼達州體會過。那次還差點中暑。所以我知道大家的苦處。
Recently, I've been hearing friends from all different parts of the world saying how hot this summer is where they live, with temperatures as high as 36 - 38 ˚ C. From what I can remember, I've only ever experienced weather that hot when we were in Florida a few years back. That time, I nearly suffered a sun - stroke, so I know what everybody must be going through.
在英國居住了這麼多年，平時的夏天都不會熱到那裏去。只有十多年前的一個七月，天氣反常，氣温竟上升至 33 - 34 ˚ C，帶孩子們去沙灘玩，海水竟是温暖的！
Having lived in the UK for so many years, I've found that summer here has never been too hot, except from one particular summer about 16 - 17 years ago when the weather was unusually warm; it reached
33 - 34 ˚ C. When we took the kids to the beach, even the water felt heated.
前幾天還在繼續我的夏天健美餐，仍然從 Slimming World 的食譜中找靈感。看到這道 " Surf 'n' Turf " 的沙律，馬上要做！
The other day, as I was still trying to carry on with my healthy diet, also looking for inspiration to make a light lunch for a lovely summer afternoon. I flipped through the " Slimming World " magazine again, on seeing this "Surf 'n' Turf " salad, I knew I had to make it.
這款 80 年代在英國很流行的酒吧餐廳名菜，起源於 60 年代的北美洲。後來輾轉相傳，來到了在大西洋這一方，大受歡迎。時至今日，偶然還會從有些酒吧餐廳的菜牌上看到。
This dish was a favorite choice in pubs and restaurants in the 80 s. It first started in North America during the 60 s, then it traveled across the Atlantic over to the UK, and became very popular here. Nowadays, occasionally, we could still find it on the menus of some pubs and restaurants.
原本的《 Surf 'n' Turf 》 是一款甚為豐富的主菜。是一道用肉類與海鮮混合的菜式 ( 最常見的如龍蝦與牛排 ), surf 代表海產，turf 代表吃草的動物，多數指牛肉。
Originally the 《 The Surf 'n' Turf 》is a very rich dish. A type of cuisine that combines both meat and seafood ( especially lobster and steak ), surf refers to seafood turf to beef animals fed on grass.
( 4 人份 )
- 薄西冷牛排 4 塊
- 甜豆 sugar snap peas 300 g, 川燙後中間切開
- 甘筍 2 條去皮切幼條
- 小蘿蔔 radish 100 g，切薄片
- 大虾 16 隻灼熟中間直切開
- 火箭菜 rocket leaves 1 大把
- 青檸 1 隻搾汁
- 無脂天然優格 4 湯匙
- 橄欖油 1 湯匙
- 蜜糖 1 湯匙
- 有籽芥末 1 湯匙
- 土茴香 dill 或新鮮細香葱 fresh chives 1小撮切碎
- 牛排每塊兩邊塗抹上少許橄欖油，隨意磨上海鹽黑椒 。大火預熱有凹凸坑的平底鍋，牛排放下煎至喜愛的熟度。生的每邊 2 - 3 分鐘，半生熟每邊 4 分鐘，熟的 5 - 6 分鐘。待涼後切條。
- 同時，灼熟大蝦、川燙甜豆 1 - 2 分鐘；過凍水，瀝乾，涼後中間切開。
Surf and Turf Salad
(serves 4 )
- 4 pieces of thin and lean Sirloin steaks
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 100 g radishes, thinly sliced
- 300 g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- 16 tiger prawns cooked and cut in halves lengthways
- A handful of rocket leaves
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp fat - free natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of whole grained mustard
- A small handful of fresh dill or chives, finely chopped
- Seasoned the steak with rubbing a bit of olive oil on each side, freshly ground salt and pepper. Place a ridged griddle pan or heavy - based frying pan over a high heat until hot. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side for rare, 4 minutes for medium, 5 - 6 minutes for well done. Sliced the beef when cool.
- Meanwhile, boil the tiger prawns and sugar snap peas for 1 - 2 minutes, refresh under cold water, drain, then sliced lengthways.
- Put all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Put all the dressing ingredients into a jar, screwed the lid tightly, shook vigorously up and down until all blended well. Unscrew the jar carefully and pour most of the dressing over the salad and toss gently and serve, with the remaining dressing at the side for drizzling over.
This improved version of the surf and turf salad, very simple yet delicious, perfect for a hot summer day.