Recently I have been very busy with family life and some other things. To get me through, I remembered one of Einstein's sayings, " Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Very useful philosophy.
Back to cooking. Every housewife has a few dishes up their sleeve; ones which can be cooked up at a moment's notice without a great deal of effort, yet which are appreciated by visitors having dinner at their home.
Mine are soup, chicken, fish, egg, bean curd and vegetables.
In our fridge and freezer, we always have these ingredients. When it's only the two of us, I may just steam a fish, stir-fry some vegetables and make a broth.
During the 10 days visit from my nephew and his friend, we often ate out at lunch time. We had Italian meals, buffet and Chinese dim-sum etc; all very rich and filling food. So for our evening meals, I preferred to cook something simple but dishes that would be enjoyed by everybody.
Like this Fillets of Fish in Sweetcorn Sauce.
醉雞 ( 我還另外做了兩次海南雞 )。
Drunk Chicken ( I've also made Hainan Chicken twice ).
I was very lucky to have found this free range corn - fed chicken, which has a lovely golden colour after cooking.
The recipe for Drunk Chicken is here.
Shallow - fried stuffed Bean Curd.
Ching Po Liang Soup.
Stir - fried baby Bak Choy.
I had roasted a leg of Lamb, served with mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy two days previously; because they enjoyed it so much, had asked me to cook the same again the following day. So for this meal, I decided to make something a bit lighter.
I made a bean curd casserole.
Steamed egg with dried shrimps.
Stir - fried Bak choi with minced garlic.
Shredded chicken, mushroom, vermicelli and egg drops soup.
多謝很多讀者的支持，在 facebook 上留言說很想要那《栗米魚柳》的食譜，這裡便寫出來與大家分享，希望你們喜歡。
Many thanks to everybody who have left messages on facebook, asking for recipe of 《fillets of fish in sweetcorn sauce》. So here it is, hope you'll like it.
- 無皮無骨魚柳，我用鱈魚 (Cod) 450g / 1 lb
- 雞蛋 2 隻 + 蛋黃 2 隻
- 生粉 1 杯
- 栗米 1 罐
- 生油 4 杯作炸油用
- 鹽、生抽、薑汁、生粉各 2 茶匙。糖、白胡椒粉各1 茶匙。蛋白 2 隻。
- 油 1 茶匙
- 酒 2 茶匙
- 上湯 2 杯
- 鹽 1 茶匙
- 糖 1 茶匙
- 生抽 1 茶匙
- 蠔油 1 湯匙
- 麻油 1 茶匙
- 蛋 1 隻打勻
- 魚柳切方塊，用魚肉醃料醃 20 分鐘。
- 雞蛋 2 隻 + 蛋黃 2 隻打勻，將魚塊逐件放入蛋液中，再取出裹上生粉排碟上備用。
Fillets of Fish in Sweetcorn Sauce
- 450g / 1 lb of fillets of fish ( I used Cod )
- 2 Eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- 3 cups oil for frying
Marinade for fish:
- Salt, light soy sauce, ginger juice, cornflour 1 tsp each. 2 egg - white.
Sweet Corn Sauce Seasonings:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp wine
- 2 cup stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- cornflour with water slurry
- 1 beaten egg
- Cut fish into square pieces, and marinate with the marinade for 20 minutes.
- Beat the 2 eggs + 2 egg - yolks together, put fish pieces in to toss, then take out to coat with the cornflour.
- Heat up the oil in a pan, then turn down to medium heat, fry the fish in batches until each one has just turn crispy. Drain on a mesh sieve before put on a plate. When finish frying all the fish, heat the oil up again; put the fish back in to deep fry a second time till all turn golden. Take out and spread on a large plate lined with double layers of kitchen paper to drain.
- Heat oil from seasonings, sizzzle the wine, then pour in the stock and the rest, add sweetcorn; when about to boil, stir in the cornflour to thicken the sauce, beat in the egg, season to taste and turn off the heat.
- Put the deep - fried fish pieces into the pan with the sweetcorn sauce, stir to mix and serve immediately .
A little tip:
- If you like the deep - fried fish pieces to remain crispy after soaking in the sauce, don't skip the re - frying step.
Nephew and his friend have already gone back home. Just hope that this short break has helped to ease the pressures of studying a little bit.