I don't know if you have these kind of feelings: sometimes when you want to eat a certain type of food, it can't be replaced by anything else.
The weather for the last few days had been so unpredictable; wet and windy. When the Olympics ended, they seemed to have taken the two weeks of beautiful sunshine with them!
On such a wet and cold August day, I only wanted to make a big pan of curry, cook a big pan of rice; and just let everybody help themselves to a big plateful of dinner, and enjoy it happily!
I love eating curry, doesn't matter if it's a recipe from any country. But I have a downfall: once I start, I can't stop!
Curry dishes in restaurants are often rather oily and spicy. As I get older, I don't order it as much when we dine out. If I want to have curry, I will make it at home.
Traditionally, all Thai curries are made with the same ingredients except for one thing, the chillies. However, as time went by, other ingredients were added to enhance these curries, making them more distinctive.
今天我要做的是黄咖哩。主要用的香料有三種：黄薑粉 Turmeric, 紅椒粉 Paprika 和 孜然粉 Ground Cumin。 自製咖哩種，只要配上新鮮的蔬菜肉類，一小時之內，一大鍋香噴噴的泰式黄咖哩便可上桌。
This time, I made the Yellow curry. The main spices are : Turmeric, Paprika and Ground Cumin, just use a food processor or blender to make your own curry paste. With added fresh vegetables and meat, you can have this curry whipped up and serve within an hour.
( 4 人用 )
- 雞 1 隻 3 - 4 lb 或雞腿 4 隻，去皮斬件 ( 喜歡的話，可以去骨，切成大塊的雞柳 )。
- Squash 半條, 或同份量任何品種的南瓜 pumpkins 也可以，切大塊
- 小胡瓜 2 條切大角
- 紅蘿蔔 4 條切大段
- 油 1 茶匙
- 椰奶 1 罐
- 魚露 2 湯匙
- 九層塔 1 大把切碎
- 上湯 2 杯 ( 或用上湯塊 stock cube 跟指示開水 )
- 生粉 ( 太白粉 ) 1 湯匙開水備用
- 小紅辣椒 2 隻切粒 ( 或乾辣椒籽 1 湯匙 )
- 紅洋葱 1 隻切角
- 蒜頭 4 粒去衣拍平
- 香茅 3 枝除去硬皮切小段和用刀背把底段剁平
- 油 1 湯匙
- 黄薑粉 Turmeric 2 茶匙
- 紅椒粉 2 茶匙
- 孜然粉 Ground Cumin 2 茶匙
- 燒紅大鑄鐵鍋或陶鍋，下油，放入雞塊炒香，下咖喱種兜約數分鐘。注入上湯煮沸蓋鍋然後轉小火煮 20 分鐘 。加入蔬菜和椰奶，大火煮沸後轉小火，蓋鍋煮 20 分鐘左右至雞肉和蔬菜都稔。
- 下鹽、糖試味，酌量加入生粉水 ( 太白粉水 ) 把咖喱汁煮沸至稀濃合度，收火。洒進九層塔拌勻上桌。
Thai Style Chicken Curry
( for 4 person )
- 3 - 4 lb chicken or 4 chicken legs, skinned (or boned if preferred ), chopped into big pieces.
- Half of a squash or equal amount of any type of pumpkins, cut into big chunks.
- 2 courgette cut into big chunks
- 4 carrots cut into big chunks
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- A big bunch Basil
- 2 cup stock ( or use stock cube to make up )
- 1 teaspoon salt , sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn flour mix with water to use later
- 2 small red chillies sliced ( or 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes )
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 lemongrass peeled, chopped and crushed
- 1 lime peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- First make the paste. Apart from the three type of spice powders, blend or process all ingredients to form a thick paste consistency. Empty into a bowl, mix with the spice powders and leave to one side.
- Heat oil in pan, place chicken pieces in to stir - fry till slightly golden, add the curry paste and fry for a few minutes. Pour in the stock, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20minutes. Put all the vegetables with the coconut milk in pan, bring back to boil, cover and simmer for further 20 minutes till the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Seasoned with salt and sugar, stir in the corn flour water mixture to thicken the curry sauce, bring to the boil, stir in the chopped Basil leaves / Corianders then serve.
- Curry paste can be made a few days ahead
- Chicken curry can be made a day ahead, keep in the fridge when cooled.
To make such a big pan of curry for your family, with little added salt and oil, so healthy and delicious, and it only took under an hours time. Seeing everybody enjoying the hearty meal, is very rewarding.
Thanks Jane, it looks delicious! Less oil and salt! Sound like something for my hubby! Indeed for our whole family,!ReplyDelete
You're very welcome! It's a challenge to cook and eat healthily nowadays, especially when we're surrounded by yummy and tempting food all the time! I try to do it whenever I can :)
很欣賞你努力不懈的精神，照片都花了精神心血去拍攝的 :) ~~
I love all types of curry, especially I love Japanese and Indian curry, as for Thai curry, I only know green curry which use ready mix pack, never cook from the scratch. Your version of Thai curry, sound so yummy .ReplyDelete
Ya, forgot to tell you that I like the rose photo very much. Have a nice weekend.ReplyDelete
It seems that there are many curry lovers everywhere, all with different preferences!! Thai curry is famous for using lots of fresh ingredients, that's why I like it :)
Thank you very much! I love roses, if I can, I will bring them all in the house whenever it's windy and rainy outside!! Hope you have a lovely weekend too :) ~~
你這個廿四考又週到的媽媽每天都有那麼多東西做，為甚麼晚上十一點還在上電腦？( 說的是個零晨也不睡覺的人 )
真的，我也很喜歡印度食品，當然包括咖喱。孩子們唸書時，學校就有幾位印度同學。我們家長不時做午餐互相招呼來玩的同學和媽媽。中國媽媽和印度媽媽都是出名拿手弄菜，款式多又好吃的！看印度媽媽家裏，香料都有數十種，送咖喱吃的 Chapati 都是即製即食的，又能幹又快手！
肚子餓極了, 就知來妳這必有好味! :)ReplyDelete
你好嗎？左三月，右三月 ...八月底快在眼前了 ... ;p
I know what you mean Jane :) and coincidentally we had Thai Green Curry two nights ago at home hehe ~ but unlike you i just bought the premade paste and asked Mr Bao to cook it :PReplyDelete
This sure looks like a warm and comforting dish! Perfect for a cold and windy night ~
Now you've got be craving yellow curry lol i find i like all thai curries, massaman, green yellow and red :P
The home made curry paste in this recipe really is so easy and healthy! I strongly urge ( recommend :P )you and Mr Bao cook it at least once to try out, and let me know what do you think ~~
Unlike you, I crave more for savoury food, and I love rice, pasta, noodles, bread ... all the starchy and forbidden food haha!!
You're so lucky, I wish I could still enjoy all the good food and can get away with it ;p
Mmmmm I can already imagine the taste! I like cooking curries at home as I can put in more veges and adjust the spices as I please. With a good curry I tend to go for seconds!ReplyDelete
Exactly! I can't agree more!! When I have curries, no good just to have a small portion, I usually even have more then a second helping, you know it so well :) ~~
It looks so delicious! 請问為什么没有放 curry powder?ReplyDelete
Curry powder is a western name given to the spices mixture that have combined together. 傳統的印度或東南亞咖喱是沒有咖喱粉的，只是把最常用的香料磨成粉，加油做好成 paste，加進煮著的蔬菜和肉類去，便成了現在家傳户曉的「咖喱」了。
Me, too! Me, too! I love curry especially Thai green curry. Yellow is yummy, too.ReplyDelete
不過吃咖哩的壞處是不自覺就下了好幾碗飯... 待回過神肚子要撐壞了 :P
Dear Miss LK,Delete
You must have had the opportunities to enjoy all the best curries available when you were living in Singapore!!
讀完你的步驟, 我實在想不出是甚麼理由你煮出來的咖哩會是苦的. 因為材料中沒有苦味的東西啊! 況且這食譜我已經做過了很多次, 我們都很愛吃的.
會不會你用的香料不對或過了期? 上湯, 椰奶都放了嗎? 或者你小心按食譜材料步驟再做多次? 我很多時都要同一食譜做兩, 三次才會成功的.