Almost everybody I know - family or friends - loves to eat curry.
We are no exception. When our children were little, whenever I made curry, I would spend a lot of time to slowly produce a well-cooked pot.
Nowadays, dinner time is a more hectic affair. Over time I have trained myself to prepare and cook a meal really fast but healthy, because either one or the other child would need to rush out of the house sometimes in a hurry.
As everybody knows, there are many different types of curry; I will introduce more of them in the future.
Recently I made a Thai style chicken curry. My husband and my children loved it so much. Because of all the vegetables that I added, the curry was not only tasty but very healthy as well.
Since the dish is so popular I know I will cook it quite often. But I need to concentrate on getting the most essential ingredients correct and simplifying the method; it's all about balancing those two elements in order to create the perfect recipe for a simple, healthy yet delicious curry.
Healthy Thai Style Curry《Fast Nutritious Meals》
I normally use chicken legs, removing the skins and bones before cooking. If you worry about not having enough time to do it, you can buy boneless and skinless chicken leg fillets. You can also use fillets of pork, beef, fish, seafood or even just vegetables.
我做咖喱種的主要材料和做這一道咖喱的配菜。( 忘了把椰奶放進攝影 )
The ingredients for this basic curry paste, and the vegetables I used for making this curry. ( I forgot to put coconut milk in for the photo )
- 小紅辣椒 2 隻切粒 ( 或乾辣椒籽 1 湯匙 )
- 紅洋葱 1 隻切角
- 薑 1 塊約 2 指頭份量去皮切片
- 蒜頭 4 粒去衣拍平
- 檸檬 / 青檸一隻去皮切四角
- 黄薑粉 Turmeric 1 茶匙
- 紅椒粉 2 茶匙
- 孜然粉 Ground Cumin 2 茶匙
- 雞腿 4 - 6 隻，去皮去骨，切成大塊的雞柳 。
- Squash 半條, 或同份量任何品種的南瓜 pumpkins 也可以，去皮切大塊。
- 茄子 2 條
- 大長紅甜椒切粗圈 ( 可用普通紅燈籠椒切角 )
- 有機椰奶 1 罐
- 魚露 2 湯匙
- 九層塔 / 或莞茜 1 大把切碎
- 上湯 1 杯 ( 可用有機好質素的上湯塊 stock cube 跟指示開水 )
- 生粉 ( 太白粉 ) 1 湯匙開水備用
- 鹽 1 茶匙
- 糖 1 茶匙
- 魚露 2 茶匙
- 生粉 2 茶匙
- 2 small red chilies sliced ( or 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes )
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemon / lime peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
( serves 4 )
- 4 - 6 chicken legs, skinned and boned, chopped into big pieces.
- Half of a butternut squash or equal amount of any type of pumpkin, peeled and cut into big chunks.
- 2 Aubergines / Egg plants cut into big chunks
- 2 long sweet red peppers cut into large rings ( can use diced normal sweet red peppers instead )
- 1 tin organic coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- A big bunch Basil / coriander
- 1 cup stock ( or use good quality organic stock cube to make up )
- 1 teaspoon salt , sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn flour mix with water to use later
Marinade for the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 大煲內倒進椰奶，加入咖喱種拌勻；煮滾蓋著用小火煮五分鐘。加 squash / 南瓜和茄子，上湯，拌勻蓋煲煮滾，改用中火煮十至十五分鐘至稔。下雞肉拌勻煮滾，約五分鐘至熟，加進紅甜椒圈。
- 下鹽、糖試味，酌量加入生粉水 ( 太白粉水 ) 把咖喱汁煮沸至稀濃合度，收火。洒進九層塔 / 莞茜上桌。
- Marinate the chicken. Then make the curry paste. Apart from the three spice powders, blend or process all ingredients to form a thick paste consistency. Empty into a bowl, mix with the spice powders and leave to one side.
- Put coconut milk in pan, add curry paste; mix well and bring to boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash / pumpkins and Aubergine, pour in the stock, stir everything round to mix well and bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes till the vegetables become soft. Place the chicken in pan, stir round to mix well, bring back to boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes till the chicken is cooked. Add the sweet red pepper rings.
- Season with salt and sugar, stir in the corn flour water mixture to thicken the curry sauce, bring to the boil, stir in the Basil leaves / Coriander then serve.
A pan of curry cooked this way, full of fragrance, and absolutely delicious. There's no need to add any oil during the cooking. The variety of vegetables, the ginger, garlic and the three spices all provide huge health benefits. You can be truly relaxed to make this for your family to enjoy it as often as you like.