I once read somewhere, “The best fall desserts are the ones that have apples in them.”
And I don’t know why, I can never resist anything that’s made with egg, flour and milk.
I love making apple Dutch baby pancakes during late autumn and early winter when the air has just begun to get chilly. On days where I am not in a rush to go out, I enjoy the crisp cool mornings by preparing a big pot of coffee, filling up the room with its warm steam and rich aroma. I then proceed to bake the apple pancake as a delicious treat.
A Dutch baby pancake, sometimes known as a German pancake is a sweet popover, normally served for breakfast. It can be made into a dessert by serving with cooked apples, peaches, pears or other fruit.
This particular fluffy pancake is baked in a hot cast iron or metal pan, and falls soon after being removed from the oven. To enjoy it, serve with freshly squeezed lemon with granulated sugar, or icing sugar with syrup.
( 2 人份 )
- 中筋麵粉 1/2 杯
- 全脂牛奶 1/2 杯
- 中號雞蛋 4 隻
- 雲尼拿香精 1/2 小匙
- 鹽 1/2 小匙
- 中號蘋果 2 個去皮去心切成 1/4 吋厚的小塊
- 黃幼砂糖 1 大匙
- 肉桂粉 1/2 小匙
- 液態無鹽牛油 ( unsalted butter ) 3 大匙
- 1 杯是 250ml 容量，1/2 杯是125ml 容量。即是說用 125ml 的量杯來盛麵粉和牛奶。
- 11 - 12 吋圓徑的平底鑄鐵鍋 1 隻或 6 - 8 吋圓徑的平底鑄鐵鍋 2 隻
- 預熱烤箱至 220C / 425F，將要用的鑄鐵鍋放進烤箱內烘至很熱， 8 - 10 分鐘。
- 中火熱平底不沾鍋，下牛油 1 大匙；加入蘋果、黃砂糖和肉桂粉拌勻，煮至蘋果軟稔，約 4 分鐘。
- 如用 1 隻 11-12 吋鑄鐵鍋的話，小心從烤箱取出鑄鐵鍋，在鍋中加入 2 大匙牛油，迅速把牛油在鍋中迴旋沾滿底部和邊緣，把蘋果加進鍋中，倒入麵糊。放入烤箱內烤 25 分鐘至鬆餅澎漲和邊緣金黃。
- 如用 2 隻 6 - 8 吋鑄鐵鍋的話，小心從烤箱取出鑄鐵鍋，在每隻鍋中加入 1 大匙牛油，迅速把牛油在鍋中迴旋沾滿底部和邊緣，把蘋果和麵糊各平分 2 份，每隻鍋中分別加入 1 份蘋果和 1 份麵糊。同時放入烤箱內烤 15 分鐘至鬆餅澎漲和邊緣金黃。
Apple Dutch Baby Pancake
( serves 2 )
- 1/2 cup all purpose plain flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 medium size eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 medium size apples peeled and cored, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup is 250ml, 1/2 cup is 125ml. Use the 125ml messuring cup for the flour and the milk.
You will need:
- One 11-12 inches cast iron skillet or two 6 - 8 inches cast iron skillet
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F, put the required skillet/skillets in to heat until very hot, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, milk, flour, vanilla extract and salt in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1tbsp butter, add apple and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, tossing often, until apple is coated and softened, about 4 minutes.
- If using one 11-12 inches cast iron skillet, carefully take out the skillet from oven, add 2 tbsp butter in it, tilting to coat bottom and sides; add apple to centre, pour batter over. Bake in oven until pancake is puffed and golden brown around the edges, about 25 minutes.
- If using two 6-8 inches skillets, carefully take out the skillets from oven, add 1 tbsp butter in each, tilting to coat bottom and sides; divide the apples and batter each into two equal portions, add a portion apple to centre of a skillet, pour a portion batter over. Repeat the same for the other skillet. Place both skillets in oven and bake until pancake is puffed and golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pancake from oven and transfer to a plate, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with Maple syrup, if desired.
I love apple crumbles for fall and winter. Somehow apple is just so comforting .ReplyDelete
Dear Mommy Dearest,Delete
Me too! I love apple crumble and any dessert that's made with apples in autumn, it feels warm and magical :)