Rain, is like an unexpected visitor, it comes without any warnings.
Near noon the other day, the clothes were still pegged on the washing line, when the dark clouds moved in, and sure enough along came the down pour.
After the sudden shower, however the air is a lot cooler and feels more refreshing.
We seem to have a love - hate relationship with the July rain; as there are only 2 months of scorching hot sun in a year, the heat can dry up the dampness stored in our body and minds from the winter months.
When it was time to cook, the room temperature had dropped quite a lot, and even with a light cardigan, it still felt rather chilly. I decided to make a broth, and cook some noodles, in the hope that it would warm us up a little.
There was a fillet of pork in the fridge, which I had cut and saved from a big piece of pork collar meat the other day. I made a homemade honey roast sauce as a quick marinade to roast the pork, then sliced up and served with the noodles, as well as the big pot of hot broth which is being kept warm on the table.
- 豬頸肉 1 條約 500g
- 海鮮醬 1 湯匙
- 磨豉醬 1 湯匙
- 蜜糖 2 湯匙
- 砂糖 2 茶匙
- 鹽 2 茶匙
- 蒜頭 2 粒剁蓉
- 麻油 1 湯匙
- 白胡椒粉 1 茶匙
- 老抽 (醬油) 1 湯匙
Honey Sauce Roasted Pork
- A fillet of pork taken from a piece of pork collar about 500g
- 1 tablespoon Hoi sin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Yellow bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peel and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 把所有醃料大碗中拌勻，豬頸肉放入翻轉至完全塗沒，蓋著或放冰箱內醃 30 分鐘以上。
- 預熱焗爐至 220C / 425F / Gas 7。
- 烤盤上鋪錫紙，醃過的豬柳在醬汁中再翻轉數次，取出放烤盤上，置焗爐中烤約 30 分鐘。期間每 10 分鐘反轉一次，塗上一層大碗內剩下的醬汁。
- 取出靜置 10 分鐘後才切片上桌。
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, place the pork fillet inside and toss well to coat, cover or put in the fridge and leave for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 425F / Gas7.
- Cover the roasting tray with foil, turn the pork a few times then put it on the tray, place in oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes. Turn it round and brush with the remaining sauce from the bowl every 10 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly to serve.
Eating a hot bowl of noodle soup on a cold grey day, while watching the rain fall, feels especially warm and comforting.