On hearing the name of the wildly popular Caesar salad, the first thing that springs to mind would be it was named after the Roman commander who conquered Europe, Asia, Africa and three continents - an outstanding statesman and military strategist, the legendary hero Julius Caesar.
Actually this salad was created by a Mexican Italian immigrant chef and restaurateur Caesar Cardini. So it's namesake actually comes from much more humble background but with an extraordinary story.
Cardini was living in San Diego but also working in Tijuana, he operated restaurants in both Mexico as well as in the United States.
據說在 1924 年 7 月 4 日那天美國獨立日，餐館忙錄得很。他的厨房耗盡了大多數的存貨；情急智生下，聰明的他只好運用手上材料替他的顧客創造了這沙拉。為了分散客人的注意力和加強效果，卡狄尼在上桌時還提供了在餐檯旁把沙拉組合的戲劇性表演服務。
He invented the dish during American Independence Day on 4th July 1924. His restaurant was very busy and was running out of supplies. Cardini made do with what he had and invented this salad. To distract his customers' attention, he added the extra service by carrying out a dramatic performance of the " table - side tossing by the chef ".
To adapt this salad slightly and make it into a healthier dish, I have omitted the olive oil baked croutons and the raw egg yolk. Instead, I've added the roasted chicken slices and baby potatoes; and to serve it with a low calorie but super tasty dressing.
( 4 人份)
- 3 - 4 塊雞胸肉
- 少許橄欖油或噴霧劑的油 ( 可以藉此減少用油的份量，各大超市有售。)
- 小馬玲薯 200 - 300g 清洗乾淨
- 小長生菜 3 棵洗淨撕開
- 車厘番茄 100g 洗淨切半
- 嫩菜豆 ( 四季豆 ) 100g
- 巴馬乾酪 Parmesan 刨薄片適量
- 無脂肪天然優格 fat - free natural yogurt 200g
- 流質蜂蜜 1 湯匙
- 第戎芥末 Dijon mustard 2 湯匙
- 1 個檸檬的汁
- 小香葱 chive 切小段 3 湯匙
- 李派林喼汁 Worcestershire sauce 少許
- 蒜頭 1 粒剁蓉 ( 可以不放 )
- 預熱烤箱至 180C / 350F / Gas 4。烤盤上鋪烘焙紙，把雞胸肉攤平，两面磨上少許海鹽和黑椒；抹少許橄欖油或噴上少許噴霧油。置烤箱內烤 15 - 20 分鐘左右或至熟，取出待涼後切條再斜切成小方片。
- 小煲內下水和半小匙鹽及半湯匙油 ( 可使煲好的馬玲薯和嫩菜豆美味和色澤亮滑 )，把小馬玲薯煲 12 分鐘左右至稔，撈起。將豆放進 ( 不要上蓋，不然豆的顏色不會嫩綠 ) 煲至豆剛軟便成；取出冲或浸凍水一會，瀝乾。小馬玲薯涼後一切開二。
Roast Chicken Caesar Salad
( serves 4 )
- 3 -4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- Fry Light olive oil spray ( can reduce the amount of oil used )
- 200 - 300 g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 little gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 100 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 g green beans
- Shaved Parmesan
- 200g fat - free natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp chopped chive
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed ( optional )
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper , and spray with Fry Light on each side. Roast on the baking tray for 15 - 20 minutes, or until cooked through, then cut into small slices.
- Fill a small pan with water, add ½ tsp salt and ½ tbsp oil ( will help to add flavour and shine to the cooked potatoes and green beans ), boil the potatoes for 12 minutes, or until tender, take them out with a slotted spoon and leave to one side. Add the beans in the water to boil until the beans are just cooked, drained and refresh under cold water. Half the potatoes when cooled.
- Put the lettuce in a bowl and fold in the potatoes, beans, tomatoes. Mix the salad dressing well and pour in the dressing bowl; served with the chicken slices and shaved Parmesan on the table.
You can enjoy this light, healthy but wholesome salad as a main meal for lunch or super any time of the year.